[lbo-talk] The Bush Re-Election Juggernaut

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Nov 26 07:06:45 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 mike larkin wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/25/politics/25CND-MEDI.html?hp=&pagewanted=print&position

[An article about passage of the medicare bill]

The LA Times cites a new, non-partisan poll which says respondents 65 and older oppose the bill by 49 percent to 33 percent. And that's before they figure out that nothing's covered in 2004.

Bush lost those voters by 4 points the last elections. If he loses them by much more, he's sunk. And the whole purpose of this bill was to win them.

Sounds to me like a juggernaut that just ran over his foot. Like Iraq.

Actually, now that I think about it, that's what the original juggernauts were (probably wrongly) reputed to be: huge heavy idols that worshippers threw themselves under in worshipful ecstacy.

Michael