[lbo-talk] Master and Commander/Love, Actually

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 26 10:36:42 PST 2003

As a devoted fan of the late Patrick O'Brian -- Jane Austen at sea (and I mean the ambiguity) -- I regret to say that the one person who's got the movie right, from the reviews I've seen, is the Lost Leader ("Just for a handful of silver he left us..."), Christopher Hitchens, in his Slate review (and this after he wrote an obtuse review of O'Brian's roman-fleuve in the NYRB):

"Unlike Forester, O'Brian set himself not just to show broadsides and cutlass work and flogging and the centrality of sea power, but to re-create all of the ambiguities and contradictions of England's long war against revolutionary and Napoleonic France ... The summa of O'Brian's genius was the invention of Dr. Stephen Maturin. He is the ship's gifted surgeon, but he is also a scientist, an espionage agent for the Admiralty, a man of part Irish and part Catalan birth -- and a revolutionary. He joins the British side, having earlier fought against it, because of his hatred for Bonaparte's betrayal of the principles of 1789 -- principles that are perfectly obscure to bluff Capt. Jack Aubrey. Any cinematic adaptation of O'Brian must stand or fall by its success in representing this figure.

"On this the film doesn't even fall, let alone stand. It skips the whole project. As played by the admittedly handsome and intriguing Paul Bettany, Maturin is no more than a good doctor with finer feelings and a passion for natural history. At one point he is made to say in an English accent that he is Irish -- but that's the only hint we get. In the books, for example, he quarrels badly with Aubrey about Lord Nelson's support for slavery. But here a superficial buddy movie is born out of one of the subtlest and richest and most paradoxical male relationships since Holmes and Watson..."