[lbo-talk] RE: left radical critique

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Nov 26 10:49:32 PST 2003

I think we should leave this pompous subject heading on forever, regardless of what the thread becomes.

Well, I would never want to suggest ignoring the powerless. They have enough problems as it is! But, the people who are suffering in the most mundane and invisible ways -- no health insurance, no babysitter, etc -- are the ones who are ultimately going to turn this shit around. And sometimes I think the left does become preoccupied with the world's most extreme forms of oppression, in a way that is not always strategic. That stems not only from foundation dollars and the careful guarding of class privilege, though I think those things contribute. It also has to do with a kind of alienation from -- or despair about -- ordinary people. Which I think is unwarranted, but plenty of others on this list have made that point.

Towards a discussion of any topic but the Kennedy assassination!

Liza