[lbo-talk] The Bush Re-Election Juggernaut

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 19:41:11 PST 2003

> You make good arguments. Of course, if you're
> right, the fact that almost
> all Reps and Dems believe the opposite, and the
> latter are moaning and
> gnashing their teeth about being rolled is a big
> plus. The best way to
> fake sincerity is to actually be sincere. If Dems
> talked out loud like
> you do now, they'd lose a lot of the benefits later.
> Chowderheadedness
> has its privileges.
>
> > As for the "privatization" aspects, I just don't
> think a few pilot
> > projects and such are not as threatening as most
> critics make out.

I have to admit that when I heard the privatization pilots start in 2009 (or 2099, or whenever) I burst out laughing. Let's not rush into things!

The problem is that next year seniors will get those shiny new discount cards in the mail just in time for the election, and Bush will get lots of photo-ops, and cheers for his compassionate conservatism at the Republican convention. That's probably all Rove cares about.