[lbo-talk] Thank you God! Thank you Mammon!

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Nov 28 14:01:09 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Jeff Jacoby was quoted:

> http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/11/27/giving_thanks_for_capitalism/
>
> "Giving thanks for capitalism
> By Jeff Jacoby, 11/27/2003

Boy, talk about opening a loosened jar and then crowing about it. Adam Smith's Invisible Hand was always supposed to be God's, who designed our human natures so they so harmoniously fit together.

I mean, if people didn't semiconsciously assume it was God's, the idea of a huge invisible hand ripping up factories and here and placing them there would be a terrifying apparition rather than a comforting object of faith.

Michael