[lbo-talk] Callinicoss-Negri

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 14:20:48 PST 2003

Callinicos is a fine scholar and thinker who iluminates everything that he touches, quite a wide range. I buy his books sight unseen. He is also a graceful writer who wears learning lightly. I don't agree with all his views, less the "Leninist" ones, which don't figure prominently in his writing, than the "state capitalist" ones, i.e., his analysis of the FSU, but agreement with everything someone says is not an important feature I look for in a writer. He is of course a member of a "Marxist-Leninist" Trotskyist party, but at this point in history these are "social clubs in drag disguise" (Bob Dylan), and probably provides him with the structure and direction he needs to do his good work. Unless, like Michael P or Thomas S, you think it is still really important to denounce the evils of M-L-ism, Callinicos' membership in the Brit SWP is more important to him as an individual than to anyone else. jks

jks