[lbo-talk] Re: European Social Forum

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Nov 29 19:03:18 PST 2003

Quoting Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>:

> funding agencies. In fact "Project World Social Forum 2004" estimates
> total expenditure for the event at $29.7 million (about Rs 135
> crore), the bulk of which, $26.2 million, is the cost of the
> delegates' participation (transportation, accommodation and food).

Well, let's see now. 50,000 participants, spending $600 on roundtrip tickets to and from the event, and an average of $400 for housing/food/transportation for a week, works out to $1,000 X 50,000 = $50 million. Seems like the WSF is quite a bargain.

> This level of expense can be only defrayed by social democratic
> political parties and governments and liberal foundations.

These parties, governments and foundations are our allies, not our enemies. There's much to be learned from the pragmatism, energy and sophistication of the Euroleft -- among other things, the basic political lesson that friendly fire -- isn't.

-- DRR