[lbo-talk] RE: Power

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 20:18:00 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net>

> " So,
> > questions of how to obtain power and how to wield it
> > democratically and intelligently once acheived are
> > non-trivial.
> >

> > DRM

[snip]

> Ian, I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic. But actually, I agree
with DRM. Figuring out how to organize human societies without the worship of power would be the most radical and deep development in the whole of human history.

> In this regard, I think that some of what the anti-globalization
movement is doing, what the Zapatistas are doing, what some anarchists are doing...is very interesting and deserving of study and thought.

> Joanna

I'm *totally agreeing* with DRM and I wasn't being sarcastic; all our science and technology is as dust if we can't learn to live with one another in dignity and respect. That's why arrogance and power are far more dangerous than bombs and bullets; indeed the latter are products of the former:

"A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality."

"...[T]he accumulation of the skill and knowledge -scientific power- of the workers themselves is the chief form of accumulation, and infinitely more important than the accumulation -which goes hand in hand with it and merely represents it- of the *existing objective* conditions of this accumulated activity. These objective conditions are only nominally accumulated and must be constantly produced and accumulated anew."