[lbo-talk] RE:police

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 1 06:34:11 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> 2) Cops divide the world into two camps: cops and non-cops. I don't think they see themselves as morally superior at all. The ones I knew, for example, freely used and trafficked in drugs.

Agreed. I was being tactful. :-)

On the other hand, what you described can be seen as an expression of "moral superiority." Compare the occasional (more than occasional?) Christian who, seeing him/herself (mostly himself) as saved, believes any act of his is by definition moral.

As ex-marines have described the training process to me, either description (yours or mine) of that process would be equally accurate.

Carrol