[lbo-talk] Panopticon 2003

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:55:31 PDT 2003

Charles Brown wrote:

> Then there are tethers, too
>

> He has good reason to abide by the rules. If Patterson completes his
> sentence without incident, the charge will be reduced to careless
> driving, which carries no jail time and a maximum fine of $135.
>
> Thousands of people in Michigan are hoping that the random drug and
> alcohol tests will provide the motivation they need to stay clean.
>
> In Michigan during 2002, 55,273 people were sentenced on some sort of
> drunken driving charge, according to Michigan State Police. While
> judges aren't required to include drug or alcohol testing in their
> sentences, many do for driving and other substance abuse-related
> offenses, said probation officials.
>
> "This is going to make me a lot more cautious," said Georgia Allen, an
> 18-year-old from Brandon Township, who was waiting recently to take
> her first Breathalyzer test and provide a urine sample for drug testing.

The next time I hear someone say that the government ought to put more money into drug _treatment_, instead of punishment and prison for drug offenders, I'm going to think of this. After all, drug treatment programs have to keep people drug free. Seems to me that a government-run anti-drug program'd do this.