[lbo-talk] Rush Limbaugh Speaks Out Against Drug Abuse

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 11:10:07 PDT 2003

Rush Limbaugh Show, December 16, 1994

We have alcoholics and drug addicts in our society, don't we? And what do we say about them? Well, they can't help it. Why, it's genetic. Why, they have a disease. Why, put one thimbleful of scotch in front of them and they can die.'

We totally exempt them from any control over their lives, do we not? Some athlete will spend two years snorting lines of coke. He can't help it.' You know, it's--it's just--it's not--it's--it's genetic. These people--they're predisposed to having this addictive syndrome. They--they can't help--yeah, like that line of cocaine just happened to march into the hotel, go up to the athlete's room and put itself right there in front of him on his blotter.

Rush Limbaugh Show, 12-12-95

Finally, I don't know how many of you saw this or not. This is--this--this is an amazing story. I want to laugh at this so badly, but it--it--it's--you shouldn't, but I can't help it. It's a story about Scott Plumlee, 39 years old; Pensacola, Florida. In his neighborhood, there's far too much drug activity going on. He doesn't like it. He went to the cops and demanded they stop it. The cops said, Sorry, Mr. Plumlee, we don't have any evidence. We can't move into your neighborhood and just remove all the drug dealers because we don't have any evidence it's going on.'

So Plumlee went back to his neighborhood, went down to the corner, bought 4 bucks' worth of marijuana, went back home and called the cops. He said, Come on out. I've got the evidence.' They have arrested him. I kid you not. They've arrested him and he's got, perhaps--he's facing a one-year jail sentence for 4 bucks' worth of marijuana.

He--he--he said, After I bought it, I thought there it is. Boom. Now get him off the street. I never thought we'd get in trouble.' The cops are all saying down there, Hey, look, you know, we don't want citizens taking this dangerous activity into their own hands.'

I have to think that this is going to get straightened out; that the guy's not really going to go to jail. But, see, you've got a drug-infested neighborhood and here's a guy trying to do something about it. Goes out and makes a buy just to get the evidence. The cops say, No, we didn't see it happen. We still don't have any evidence. All we know is that you've got the 4 bucks of--of marijuana. Follow us to jail, pal.' So--but our heart's with the guy.

Rush Limbaugh Show, 7-22-1996

LIMBAUGH: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you. You know, I've been--I've been thinking. There are some other things the Dole campaign could do in addition to hiring Billy Dale. You know the story about the Mena Airport--Mena, Arkansas. This is the--the--the story about drugs and--and--and--and--and--and cash being run in and out of there to Central America that--that--that Clinton knew about when it was all going on and it's been written about in The American Spectator. How about Dole goes to w--and it's closed now--the Mena Airport's no longer there. But how about Dole goes there, does a public appearance, and while he's making a speech, helicopter flies over, drops a bunch of bales of hay to indicate drugs coming into the state of Arkansas. Or he could go to the Excelsior Hotel, where Paula Jones claimed that Clinton took--pu--he took his pants down. And Dole could go to the hotel room, conduct a press conference there. Go out to a savings and loan, stand in front of--do all sorts of stuff, just--just to--just to focus the press on--on some of Clinton's, shall we say, transgressions.

http://atrios.blogspot.com/