[lbo-talk] Seattle redux

Tim Fisken tim_boetie at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 2 13:15:24 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 02:26, boddhisatva wrote:
> police incitement. The London Metropolitan Police use about 600 officers to
> patrol soccer games city-wide and of course they are confronting people who
> actively plan large brawls for every important game. Daytona Beach hosts

I don't think that's a valid comparison to Seattle. There are probably less than a 100 football hooligans at any given match, and the rest of the crowd are actively interested in _not_ getting into trouble. I don't think that was the case at Seattle, where a large proportion of the crowd was interested in civil disobedience and unauthorised protest. A better comparison from London would be the Mayday protests, where the past couple of years have seen 3000 police to control crowds of around 5000. Indeed, the main crowd-control tactic used by the Met, corralling demonstrators in one place, depends on overwhelming numbers.

--

"When the proletariat takes power, it may be quite possible that

the proletariat will exert towards the classes over which it has

just triumphed, a violent, dictatorial and even bloody power. I

can't see what objection one could make to this."

-- Michel Foucault Tim Fisken http://www.huh.34sp.com/ tim_boetie at fastmail.fm

PGP key: http://www.huh.34sp.com/public_key