[lbo-talk] tech jobs abound - in India

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Oct 2 15:43:06 PDT 2003

Quoting Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com>:

> The Indian tech boom is the services version of the
> effective durable goods export strategy of Japan, S.
> Korea, Taiwan and so forth.

I'm far from an expert on India, but my impression is that India never developed a developmental state capable of growing the productive forces and regulating domestic finance capital. (The Nehru/Gandhi governments did some state planning and import substitution, and West Bengal and Kerala have done some fine things in the fields of education and rural development, but there's nothing comparable to the scale and scope of East Asian industrial policy.) Isn't India's share of the global software market pretty small, something like 4% or so?

-- DRR