[lbo-talk] tech jobs abound - in India

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 15:49:14 PDT 2003

Wojtek posted:

Cool. The arrogant US techies meeting their just desert.

*******

Dios Mio!

Why do so many people, particularly on the left, celebrate the unemployment of US tech workers?

But of course, I know that many IT workers were 'arrogant'. Perhaps this is the explanation.

Wait, do I know this?

No, no I don't. Most of the people I worked with were women and men who love tech (software development, hardware, network engineering, what have you) gravitated towards the profession motivated by this love and, at rare and good moments had fun.

There was hype, there were countless articles about a 'new economy' and some of my friends were fooled for a time into believing they were residents of Olympus.

But do they deserve to be unemployed because of this human, human all-too-human moment of foolishness?

Is this really "their just desert"?

And, let's assume that some of these Indian IT workers, who're told now that they're the vanguard of the nation's future, look in the mirror and discover a bit of the old ultra-arrogance. When the global labor market for IT abandons them in favor of the yet still cheaper will this be their "just desert"?

Where's that asprin?

DRM