[lbo-talk] tech jobs abound - in India

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Oct 2 23:42:23 PDT 2003

dredmond at efn.org wrote:

> I've been thinking a lot about the potential of the information commons these
> days. Texts are dangerous things. They seem so innocent, sitting there
> peacefully on the library shelf. Until one day someone picks one up, reads it,
> and of course one good book always deserves another. And another. And
> another... until one fine day when: KA-BOOOOOM, the Matrix peels away,
> revealing Sentinels and Zion hovercraft, the sheet lightning of EMP bursts,
> informatic combat in the Desert of the Real.
>
> The sad irony is that all too many academics regard books as a property-
> monopoly, to be secured behind walls of jargon and/or security guards. If
> there's one thing the information commons has taken to heart, it's that
> freeing the text is the first step to freeing the mind.

Good points, but the reality in today's public libraries is that every book is a copy of Harry Potter or some other bestseller. ;-)

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ MutualAid ISP -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)