[lbo-talk] request - outsourcing to India

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 11:54:19 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

One possible angle is the lengths to which people in India will go for an outsourced job from the U.S.

******

Yes, I'm wondering about that too.

Also, this question arises -

To what extent is the rapid growth of outsourcing centers in places like Bangalore producing benefits to the wider, non-techie biz owner and employee world?

Is greater Banagalore doing well?

I've listened to Indian colleagues talk about the creation of a "hollow shell" of modernization in which these centers of tech entrepreneurship flourish, enriching a very small percentage of the population, while the rest exist outside of the silicon bubble.

This is what I meant when I posted yesterday that the focus of Wipro, Infosys and other Indian outsourcers on the American and European market suggested a lack of domestic demand or "infrastructure".

The infrastructure I'm referring to is a sufficient number of Indian businesses, dependent upon computer services, that would (you'd assume) take up most of the time of Indian consultancies leaving less talent available for outsourcing centers than now appears to be the case.

For example, the consultancy I work for has an international presence, but the heavy demand in the 1990's for all types of info tech services meant that upwards of 90 percent of effort was directed domestically.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the Indian firms suggesting (to me at least) that there is simply not enough domestic demand to employ the talent coming out of the universities and technical institutes.

I'm curious about whether my belief matches the facts.

DRM