[lbo-talk] Re: Israel's right to exist

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 14:47:04 PDT 2003

--- boddhisatva <boddhisatva at netzero.net> wrote:

> The Jews who founded Israel asserted a "right of return" as the
> fundamental logic of its creation. That right of return can be codified
> into the constitution of the state such that Israel always remains a
> homeland for the Jewish people. But it has to be clear that the fact of
> such a right of return would demand, in fairness, a right of return for
> the
> Arabs (and others) who lived there before the wars and, to some extent,
> their progeny. Then there has to be a secular democracy to protect this
> religious/ethnic homeland. Secular democracy is the most secure form of
> government, clearly. I think the assumption that Arabs would
> immediately
> tear the place asunder is exactly the kind of assumption White South
> Africans used and they have faired perfectly well (or as well as anybody
> in
> S. A.) well under democratic rule.

i don't understand your point. who is assuming an arab majority would 'tear the place asunder'? i don't think it is an assumption that arabs or non jewish whomevers would not place as a high priority 'preserving a jewish homeland' in exactly the same manner as zionists would like.

> If it was important enough for people to preserve Jewish majority in
> Israel, Jews would move there. Hell, Pat Robertson and his bunch will
> move there, if it comes to that.

?? if you've ever read anything about isreal's history you might have observed that it is very difficult to move a large population from one place to another. It was very difficult in India too. 'Hell', it took the holocaust to get roughly 1 million european jews to move there. Israel isn't the best place to live....i don't think Pat and crew would be all 'up' for that mandatory military service thing...i seriously don't think they would stick their necks out to ensure 'judgement day'. i think the point is not having it come to 'that'.

~M.E.