[lbo-talk] Seattle redux

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Oct 3 21:10:04 PDT 2003

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Perhaps ChuckO can explain what the strategy and objectives of the Black Bloc is then, if I've got it all wrong?

The strategy of the black bloc is, quite simply, to provide solidarity and mutual aid on the the streets for radical protesters, most often anarchists. When the police attack demonstrators simply for exercising their basic rights and otherwise make efforts to outlaw forms of dissent, the black bloc is a group statement of solidarity for dissent and against repressive police tactics.

The objectives of the black bloc are partially reflected in what I just explained, but different black blocs have different objectives in addition to doing direct action for the right to dissent. Black blocs typically have some kind of statement or call which explains the objectives of each black bloc. Black blocs also exist to promote more militant tactics and attitude.

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ MutualAid ISP -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)