[lbo-talk] Putin most popular Russian leader since 1917

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Oct 4 11:13:38 PDT 2003

On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 09:10 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> Putin more popular than Communist icons, but Russians wary of
> "democracy"
> October 2, 2003
> AFP

[snip]

> The second-most popular leader with 10 percent support is Leonid
> Brezhnev,
> the neo-Stalinist Communist party general secretary whose name is
> associated with a heightening of repression in the 1970s and a long
> period
> of economic stagnation.

What the heck do they see in Brezhnev?! Seems rather nutsy to me! (Perhaps it was some sort of statistical error? --- Or was it his obvious sex appeal?)

> A huge majority of Russians (79 percent) believed their country should
> develop in its own way, with only 11 percent saying they saw Western
> democracy as the best model. Two percent spoke in favour of the Asian
> development model, the poll indicated.

What is the "Asian development model"?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt