[lbo-talk] women, wage slavery, insurance

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Oct 4 11:40:38 PDT 2003

A remarkable article -- thanks for pointing it out.

The tragedy is that there are so many Americans like Ms. Sechrest, who work in places where they are all but unreachable by the union organizers, and don't have the time or energy to join any other political organizations which might be able to fight for them.

I am reminded of a little group of older folks and retirees I worked with for a while when I was in my late '20s; they needed so much, and there were so few of us younger people who had the energy, time, and money -- and most of all the interest -- to help them. Now I am approaching that age myself, and often wonder what situation I will be in when I need the same help.

If there were some way of effectively organizing the Ms. Sechrests, the left would be much better situated than it is now. These are the people who most need a decent national health care system, for example, but they can't put their weight behind a movement to get one. It's all very well to chant slogans like "Power to the People!", but all too often, the people, as individuals, are entirely consumed with the daily struggle to survive, and find it impossible to organize to take power.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile