[lbo-talk] Re: Unequivocal statements by Friedrich Engels (Homophobia from German maoist loons)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 15:27:00 PDT 2003

> The constantly destablizing effect Capital has upon
> societies should not be underestimated. It is one of
> the primary force vectors keeping a space for queer
> expression open. 'Will and Grace", to cite a
> brain-dead example, exists not only because NBC was
> convinced that Americans are sufficiently 'tolerant'
> to accept the program, but because advertisers were
> convinced the audience, presumably composed of many
> Gay folks, is worth selling to.
>
> This is a counterbalance in some ways to the efforts
> of folks like Falwell and other
> theocrtic-totalitarians.
>

> DRM

I made a similar point on some Pacifica show years ago, much to the host's visible anguish. I said that if given the choice b/w the current make-up of the American government running TV (a la the BBC), or corporate capital, I'd take the latter. More room for sexual and artistic dissent (which in many cases political activism makes possible), and, as DRM points out, a shiv up the reactionary ass. I mean, the Family Values crowd boycotting Disney over Queer Issues? Beautiful.

DP