[lbo-talk] Pop Culture Note: The Matrix Revo Preview Revives My Interest

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 16:08:16 PDT 2003

I just downloaded and viewed the "Revolutions" trailer from whatisthematrix.com.

A few intriguing bits stand out.

* The system realizes it has a problem. Not only is the human resistance proving tenacious, resourceful and troublesome but one of its own, Agent Smith, is running amok, breaking the rules. Smith cannot be recalled to the fold. Neo and the system apparently reach an agreement for dealing with Smith. And perhaps, for other things as well

* Smith and the architect are, in some way, linked. They may be different sides of a composite personality avatar. Which would, um, complicate things considerably.

* From the trailer, you can glean that the idea of Neo being "The One" is debunked and rejected. I hope this is true cause that would be a kind of breakthrough in and of itself for American cinematic sci-fi.

* There is a suggestion that all life - both machine and human - face extinction. I got the impression that a truce of sorts may be the final resolution.

Well that, or the end of everything.

Which would be a logical (and, by American standards, shocking) ending.

Destruction of the machines would mean killing the life support system for most human life (interesting parallels to the left's position relative to the corporate-techno-structure); some sort of ceasefire or absorption seems like the only end-point for the saga that makes sense to my way of thinking.

Following the advice of disappointed friends, I skipped "Reloaded" in the theatres and got a digital bootleg (verily I say unto thee, I need to behave better in such matters).

I think I'll see "Revolutions" on the big screen.

DRM