[lbo-talk] Brezhnev was Russia's Elvis (was popular Russian political figures)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 5 07:30:35 PDT 2003

>So Russians are like Americans (and probably lots of other folks) in
>personalizing eras by the leaders in power at that time, and assuming that
>the good and bad aspects of an era were due to the leader.

Yep. People refer to the "Brezhnev era," the "Gorbachev era" (boo!), the "Stalin era" etc. History of autocracy probably has something to do with it to.

People were very saddened when Brezhnev died. I know people who cried. They felt abandoned. "What will we do without the Guarantor of Peace?"

_________________________________________________________________ Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com