[lbo-talk] Chechen elections

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 05:50:41 PDT 2003

BTW our own Peter Lavelle interviewed now president of Chechnya Kadyrov a little while ago. Here he is in his own words. I think this may be the only interview Kadyrov has ever given to a Westerner. There's commentray by Robert Bruce Ware appended. Rob is Da Man.

Akhmad Kadyrov: The situation in Chechnya is an internal issue of Russia and Chechnya By Peter Lavelle Published on August 02, 2003

An Interview with Akhmad Kadyrov by Peter Lavelle and PRAVDA.Ru, 25 July, Moscow

Is Chechnya ready for the election? There are contradictory opinions about the issue in society today. Some people think that the election will not lead to anything good, given the wartime conditions, and will simply escalate the conflict. Others believe the election will allow us to take the wind out of the separatists' sails. What is your position, Akhmad-Haji?

It goes without saying that the election is necessary. However, the situation in the republic is not simple, because of the presence of military rule. I have to say that elections, even in the most peaceful region, always create a very difficult time for regional state institutions, including security structures.

In 2001-2002, I told the president that the election should take place when the war was over, at a time when we had returned to peaceful life. We agreed upon that. However, I can see now that the election cannot be delayed any longer.

We need to put an end to rumors that have started appearing in certain circles of the republic. They say that Kadyrov is afraid of running, so he is trying to delay the election deliberately. They say that the authorities continue appointing Kadyrov to various positions, making him an ambassador, then a mufti, then the head of a corporation. These rumors prevent the Chechen administration from working in a stable way. The election should take place to avoid this ridiculous gossip.

I am sure it will take place in the very near future. When we were conducting the referendum, a lot of people were thinking it would not be possible because of the threat of acts of terrorism. But we conducted it! People are inclined to go to the polls today.

According to the latest research in the republic, you come in fourth on a popularity list in Chechnya after State Duma Deputy Aslambek Aslakhanov, former Chairman of the Russian Federation Supreme Council Ruslan Khasbulatov and Moscow entrepreneur Malik Saidullayev. At the same time, you top the list of people who enjoy the least amount of confidence. In one poll, 61.5 percent of respondents said, with absolute certainty, that Kadyrov should not be elected.

That poll was definitely ordered by someone, I have no doubt about it. Oct. 5 will reveal everybody's place in the ratings.

In addition, the people who have conducted these polls - they do not live in Chechnya, they do not know the situation, and it is not known whom they questioned and how. We conducted our own polls, and I enjoy 65 percent support according to them. Let's wait until the election and see whom the Chechen people really support.

Etc. here:

http://www.untimely-thoughts.com/index.html?cat=3&type=3&art=138

_________________________________________________________________ High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com