[lbo-talk] Money printing

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Oct 6 06:36:48 PDT 2003

Boddi:
> She reminds me of a question I have meant to take to the list for a
> while. What do we think has been the short-term positive effect of
the new
> "Bush Keynesianism". Please don't take this as an endorsement for
Bush
> policies. I just mean to ask where would we be without the massive
deficit
> spending increases and huge boost in liquidity.

Is not it the case that much of the deficit is due to tax cut rather than spending? Unlike gov't spending, which actually results in the production of tangible goods, hence creates jobs, tax cuts are mainly used to refinance the existing debt, so their effect on job creation is not what the Bush gang advertises. Ergo: the right question to ask is what the effects of the deficit would be had the Bush gang increased public investment instead of reducing public revenue?

Wojtek