[lbo-talk] dixor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 6 08:46:25 PDT 2003

budge wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 at 1:43pm Kelley wrote:
> >
> > surely you have heard that your statement is controversial
> > --and not because i'm espousing the views of those who
> > think that homosex is "unnatural". Rather, it's a
> > controversial statement among those in the GLBT community.

Note: Blacks did not _choose_ to be blacks in the Jim Crow south; they were born that way; they couldn't help it. That did not seem to be an argument against lynching them. "Jews" in Hitler's Germany had not _chosen_ their grandparents (or in some cases great-great-grandparents); they were born "that way." That did not seem to be an effective argument against the Final Solution.

I wasn't born a communist; that does _not_ mean that I have no right to be a communist.

Regardless of the current empirical evidence for or against a "gay gene" (and I want to emphasize the _current_, for this kind of evidence changes constantly), the fight for gay rights has to be based on the premise that a person has a perfect right to _choose_ to be gay.

There has been quibble over the term "community" several times on this list, but as hard (even impossible) as it is to write a satisfactory abstract definition of "black community" or "gblt community," conscious members of those communities go on using the terms very effectively for their purposes, and I think questionins of those terms simply aren't in good faith.

Carrol

Carrol