[lbo-talk] Re: Queer Eye 4 the Straight Guy

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 6 12:52:54 PDT 2003

Dear List:

I wonder how popular this show would be: Black Eye for the White Guy in which 5 African-Americans dote on a white male, making both him and his home over. When they are through, they are wisked out of sight to watch on video the object of their transformation go forth into public. Safely removed from the public arena (and any chance for visibility or public recognition), they end each episode toasting the success of their just finished project and eagerly looking forward to their next chance to serve.

What about Proletarian Eye for the Rich Guy? The Female Eye for the Male Guy (I think this one happens already LOL).

I am not sure that this show does anything other than reinforce the heteronormative notion that queers exist to serve non-queers -- we beautify their homes, their bodies. We provide entertainment.

As Joe Pesci once asked: "I am here to amuse you?"

I find the show's popularity, especially among non-queers, to be a fascinating phenomenon.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister