[lbo-talk] dixor

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Oct 6 16:30:15 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> i'm curious: what social constructionists make this claim?

There are quite a few social constructionists who advance a pretty straight forward social learning theory of sexual orientation (on which who we want to have sex with is just as socially contingent as, say, the Western preference for forks over choptsicks). For starters: David Halperin. Judith Stacey and Timothy Biblarz. I'm sure there are many others.

> believe that there are a subgroup who do make these sorts of claims, but
> most of the ones i'm familiar with do not discount biological facts.

I'm sure most of them pay lip service to biological facts (or, to be more specific, the special subset composed of genes and gestation) at some point. But not many take them seriously.

-- Luke