[lbo-talk] RE: queer eye

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Oct 6 20:04:07 PDT 2003

ChuckO writes:

"Well, I think the show is fun, but my main motivation for watching it is to improve my sad sense of style. I've long been fashion-challenged, which is due to my activism and ironic given that I have a fine arts degree."

It's funny you should say that. I mean, relatively speaking, men's fashions have been fairly limited for the last hundred years or so. Narrow lapels? Wide lapels? Turtle necks? V-necks? Narrow ties? Wide ties? Bell-bottoms? Pants: pleat? cuff? bell bottoms? Stove-pipes? Baggies? I guess color gets a bit more complicated.

In general I think it's a mistake to follow "fashion." It's just a sure guarantee that everything you buy will be out of date in five years. Or two.

I guess my recipie would be

1) figure out what colors look good on you. Use those.

2) when in doubt, understate

3) go for fewer, better quality clothes

4) avoid extremes in lapel size, tie size, pant shape

5) make sure your pants are a good length -- for guys this usually means making sure they're long enough.

6) go shopping with someone who knows how to dress

7) take your time

8) buy cotton, linen, wool, or silk...possibly rayon. Forget everything else.

9) don't underestimate the value of a good haircut

10) exercise

That's about it.

Joanna