[lbo-talk] dixor

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 20:07:21 PDT 2003

Both essentialist and constructivist positions are totally incoherent and antiscientific. The "middle position" is just ordinary biology. What I am saying is utterly noncontroversial as biology,a nd if if were understood, it would eradicate most of the debate on the subject. I have tried to publish a paper with this argument for 15 years, it has been (in various incarnations) rejected as totally obvious, with nothing new to say -- which is true, except the if the point were understood, smart people like youw ouldn't ask this question -- or bizarre and incoherent.

Anyway, the point is this. Any trait of any organism is a manifestation of genetic characteristics in an environment. You can't do without either. Sexual behaviors are the resuly of the fact that wea re organism that reproduce sexually, but of course we do so only in an environmental -- and for humans that almost always meansa social --context. Therefore, sexual behaviors are the results of genes that create sexes and drives manifesting themselves in environments where the drivesa re shaped and directed in certain ways -- differently depending on the circumstances.

You cannot say, it makes no sense to ask, Is a behavior 75% (or something) genetic? If that means, not environmental. Genes only manifest themselves in environments,a nd they manifest themselves differently in different environments. They impose rough limits on variation -- I could not grow to be 9 feet tall whatever I ate, but I could have been a lot sorter than I am if I had lacked proper nutrition. But that does not mean that there are many interesting traits, if any, that rigidly manifest themselves the same way in all circumstances. They are codes that allow ranges of behavior thatr vary with the circumstances.

This point grasped, you cannot say, All sexual behavior is socially constricted. It would not be sexual, or indeed behavior, if it were not be behavior ofd an an organism, thus biological. Nor can you say, homosexual (or heterosexual) behavior is biologically determined, such that it is the fixed result of a genetic inheritance that is the same in all circumstances. Aint nos uch thing. Height is genetically determined if anything is,a nd my example shows that it isn't.

End of story. The usual way the debate is framed is not only wrong, it is nonsensical. It contradicts everything we know about biology. It is the result of a confusion. It is pure ideology.

Maybe I will try to publish my paper again.

jks