[lbo-talk] dixor

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 22:10:15 PDT 2003

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Did I use the word heritability? That is a total red
> herring. I was talking about the way that traits,
> including behaviors, are manifestations of genes in an
> environment. Heritability concerns a totally different
> question, the likelihood that the trait will show up
> in the same environment across generations. If you
> vary the environment significantly, you can't even
> formualte the question, How heritable Is It? because
> you aren't controlling for the environment -- which
> makes my point again. "Genetic" does not and cannot
> mean, even the cases of stuff that is "genetically
> determined" in a far more general way thana ny
> behaviorm sucha s height or eye color -- rigidly
> manifested the same way in all environments. And there
> is really no coherent way to ask, well, What % is it
> "genetically determined"? You can of course ask if
> traits are manifested in most environments, and as
> noted it is clear that in many cases the genetic
> contribution imposes limits on the extent of
> variation. That is all that you can say. And this is
> Genetics 101 -- if people didn't want to abuse science
> for ideological purposes, no one woul;d even prertend
> the question mde any sense.

ok this is i think sort of right of course but no gay gene has been found... are 'gay' men genetically different than 'hetero' men? of course evironment dictates what genes get selected and a certain slight amount is due to random variation etc. etc. but there's no evidence of genetic variation....or is there? it seems to me a very askable question, just find the gay gene or the biological difference.......if there's not one it would have to be 100% socially constructed. unless trees etc. have something to do with it. so i guess until the gay gene is mapped i'm going to tend towards the constructionist side...because there's more evidence for it.

~J