[lbo-talk] dixor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 7 07:44:49 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Mike, there cannot be "more evidence" for one rather
> than another nonsensical proposition. The whole
> distinction is bogus. That is my point. Even if there
> isa "gay gene," a single gene such that all and only
> gays have it, it still doesn't show that
> "essentialism" or biological determinism is treue and
> social constructionism is false. Both views are false
> insofar as they make sense at all.

:-)

Justin, you are trying to explain this to people whose most fundamental belief, so deeply entrenched no intellectual mirror will show it to them, is that truth is arrived at by adding up atomic facts. Hence there is no way that they can make sense of "Any gay or other genes manifest themselves only in environmental contexts."

Carrol

P.S. "One divides into two, not One plus one equals two." The greatest elementary school slogan of world history.