[lbo-talk] Re: dixor

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 7 08:56:47 PDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> 1. Regarding sexual identities. Most cultures that I have read about seem
> to have sexual identities of some sort. Issues of sexual expression and
> identity seem to be a part of all human experience. Homosexual identities,
> acts and homophobia existed long before capitalism came on the scene and in
> societies that are not capitalist. To claim that homosexual identity and
> homophobia are products of capitalism is just historically inaccurate -- an
> example of what I referred to earlier as the desexualizing tendencies of
> some Marxist thought.

Your claim above is contradicted by reams of historical and anthropological research. This is simple ethnocentrism and presentism: why insist on projecting modern concepts (heterosexuality and homosexuality) onto the past?

> 2. An interesting study released today regarding the nature of
> homosexuality:

A little hint about scientific research: evidence of correlation is not evidence of causality.

Miles