[lbo-talk] Fwd: question

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 13:21:27 PDT 2003

I always heard it "politics" rather than "war" -- or "dialectics."

Hah, I was right: it's Priestly.

Roy Hattersley Monday October 1, 2001 The Guardian

Halfway through August 1940 - the month in which the Battle of Britain was fought in the sky over south-east England - JB Priestly addressed his radio postscript to the people who believed that discussion about "winning the peace" was a dangerous distraction from the primary task of defeating the barbarian at the gate.

At the moment, he said, "you may not be interested in politics. But you can be sure that politics is interested in you". He was reminding the men and women who endured the rationing and survived the blitz that, after the war had ended, their lives would be crucially influenced by the result of the arguments that many of them dismissed as inappropriate to the times.

jks