[lbo-talk] Re: Dixor

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 14:16:57 PDT 2003

On 7/10/03 10:03 pm, "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mill, btw, also Lived In Sin, and adulterously
> too, with his girlfriend Harriet Taylor...

My impression was that Mill scholars agree with Mill's opinion in the Autobiography that the pair were not adulterous, and that they only continue to disagree over whether they _ever_ had sex, even after marriage. (There are various theories in the literature as to why this might have been the case, with varying degrees of plausibility).

Which is not to say that they didn't generate scandal.

One interesting recent reflection on their relationship is here: http://www.sas.ac.uk/ies/Conferences/Hilda%20Hume%20Text.htm

Chris