[lbo-talk] crazy?

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Oct 7 21:17:41 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

From: Doug Henwood

To: lbo-talk

Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 8:10 PM

Subject: [lbo-talk] crazy?

So all you non-Americans - do you & your neighbors think we've gone

completely crazy having elected Arnie governor of our biggest state,

one that likes to think of itself as on the cutting edge of

civilization?

Doug

can one who's born and raised in california comment?

what was the choice? mediocre special interest political party hacks vs. an austrian crypto nazi? unless you prefer a stipper or porn king. after all, we all know larry flynt is a successful businessman, just like arnold isn't. even arianna backed out on us.

the democrats never learn. there wouldn't have been a traditional democrat in the race if it weren't for bustamante, who was stuck by his party in the absurd position of saying vote "no" on recall but vote for me. all the party hacks, from clinton to lieberman to diane feinstein to you-name-it were campaigning for davis and against recall. a complete waste of time and a total bore. if davis would have bowed out in favor of bustamante the minute the recall qualified for the ballot, today would have been a different story. but this wasn't an election conducted in the interests of the people; it was a celebration of vanity, arrogance and ignorance of the politicians. business as usual.

today, the democrats practically handed california to shrub in the coming, 2004, presidential election. think about it all of you desperate enough to be saying "anyone but bush in 2004." if you're not good, you may get arnold. you may get arnold anyway.

there is one bright note. proposition 54 was defeated.

for those who don't know what prop 54 is, it's a move spearheaded by ward connerly, a multi millionaire beneficiary of affirmative action who thinks he's white. ward decided it would be best for the white people of california not to have to keep statistics on minority races which are useful in health care planning, education and all those other things ward regards as frivolous now that he's made it and you haven't. as the most powerful tom in california, ward put all his energies behind this ballot measure, which thankfully was defeated.