[lbo-talk] RE: dixor

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Oct 7 21:44:05 PDT 2003

Brian wrote:

"It made me wonder, since homophobia seems to have existed/exist in non-capitalist environments."

Well, yes, but here's where labels make things more confusing. A friend from Turkey mentioned that in Afghanistan "men are for pleasure and women are for babies." In this context, homophobia would have nothing to do with "discomfort with men who have sex with other men" but more with "discomfort with men who have sex only with men" -- since, at least according to my friend, both options are always present.

What I remember of homosexual practices in Romania was that they were largely accepted , but were never publicly accepted. You might still call this homophobia, but it seems to me that it is much less virulent than in the U.S. until recently.

Joanna