[lbo-talk] Theory Hotline

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 8 06:28:23 PDT 2003

dredmond at efn.org wrote:

>Quoting Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu>:
>

>>About the only times I've run into professionals who _won't_ make the
>>effort to make their work understandable are when I'm talking to lawyers
>>or social theorists.
>>

>I'm a social theorist.
>
>What's your question?

In this case-- and given the responses I've gotten so far, I'm loath to ask it again-- the question was "What does 'socially constructed' mean?"

I'm hoping for an answer that not trivially true (i.e., "it's not innate in genes," "it's something humans created,") or loaded with gaseous jargon ("it's the manifestation of white male hegemony implicit in the discourses of differentiating strategies..."). And it'd be nice to see an example of something that _isn't_ socially constructed-- just to make sure that it's not an entirely empty phrase.