[lbo-talk] Theory Hotline

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Wed Oct 8 11:40:11 PDT 2003

Miles Jackson wrote:

> People's interactions produce "build" every aspect of our social
> world. Values, beliefs, attitudes, religious practices, political
> systems, nations are the product of ongoing social interactions.
> If you were to take away the relevant social interactions, that
> element of social reality would no longer have a practical role
> in a society (i.e., the U. S. would no longer exist as a
> nation-state if no one honored or recognized the U. S.
> government, laws, or citizenship; the Catholic church would
> not exist if no one practiced Catholic rituals or professed
> Catholic beliefs).

What "ongoing social interactions" "produce 'build'" the belief that every belief is "socially constructed"?

> to say that something
> is socially constructed is not to make a truth claim
> about the construct. If I say that belief in God
> is socially constructed, it does not imply that
> God exists or that God does not exist. Rather,
> social interactions make God an important part
> of life in a given society. (Money is another
> good example.)

So, if the belief that every belief is "socially constructed" must itself be said to be socially constructed (as seems to be implied by your claim that "peoples's interactions produce 'build' _every_ aspect of our social world"), how can you consistently claim that the belief that every belief is "socially constructed" is true?

Ted