[lbo-talk] Theory Hotline

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 8 13:02:59 PDT 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Ted Winslow wrote:

> What "ongoing social interactions" "produce 'build'" the belief that
> every belief is "socially constructed"?

Umm--the kind of discussion we're having now would be one example.

> So, if the belief that every belief is "socially constructed" must
> itself be said to be socially constructed (as seems to be implied by
> your claim that "peoples's interactions produce 'build' _every_ aspect
> of our social world"), how can you consistently claim that the belief
> that every belief is "socially constructed" is true?
>
> Ted

Again, the claim that something is "true" and the claim that something is "socially constructed" are completely orthogonal (independent). This is the point people don't seem to get: even if a belief is true, the belief can only function as a truth in a society if it is recognized and socially accepted as a truth. Play the reflexivity games all you want: they're irrelevant here. The fact that a belief is "socially constructed" is completely irrelevant to the question of whether or not it's "true".

Miles