[lbo-talk] crazy? No, actually.

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 9 06:29:20 PDT 2003

Joanna:
> The Schwartz is an Alpha male? Aw my God, Allah be merciful! Really?
Is that what that
> phrase means?

I would think so. I just saw a documentary on chimpanzees featuring an alpha male character - big, muscular, overtly aggressive, but with a soft underbelly - and that reminded me of the image Schwartz represents in his films.

I also think that there is a fair number of males who identify themselves with the likes of Schwartz - they wannabe big tough and obnoxious because in their pea-brains that represents power and sexual prowess. I am not sure what causes that mindset, but I am inclined to think that this is what impresses a 12-year old and many, if not most, males fail to grow up above the mental age of 12.

A much bigger mystery, imho, is that many if not most women, dream of a prince from a romantic novel but end up going out with such assholes. I've seen that often enough to think it is a pattern.

This is yet another instance that support my deeply held belief that most people are nor rational, economically or otherwise. Or, as they say in my old country, they swap heads with their dicks.

Wojtek