[lbo-talk] Black music makes history

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 07:41:08 PDT 2003

Grant Lee posted (from ABC (Australia) Radio "The World Today" Tuesday, 7 October , 2003):

ELIZABETH JACKSON: Popular music has finally recognised its roots. For the first time since the dawn of rock n' roll, none of the artists in the top ten singles charts in the United States are white.

********

Hilarious.

Here are some things, previously unknown to me, that I learned from this article.

Popular music is a zero sum game. Who knew?

Folks buying the work of Black pop-a-ratchiks are acknowledging American music's 'Black roots.'

I thought they were just buying (or downloading) tunes they liked. I'm just silly I guess.

Beyonce isn't just a talented singer with a camera friendly face and form, but the vanguard of America's hip-hop-icization.

Now here's a bit of assumption-rich comedy thinly disguised as opinion...

"STEPHEN IVORY: The American black music lover is like the American black person pretty much, he's a forgiving person, and if it's good it's good. I've been surprised that Eminem has been so well received by the young black music community."

Oh Stephen, you old flatterer.

But it's true, we are very forgiving. For example, I forgive Mr. Ivory for being, at least in this interview, about as well informed as a head injury victim who's been sitting in a dark, sound proofed basement exclusively watching "Gilligan's Island" re-runs for the last 30 years.

So wrong. So funny. So wrong.

DRM