[lbo-talk] Black music makes history

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 9 09:52:40 PDT 2003

Grant Lee wrote:

> The main point of the story --- that black artists now dominate music sales,
> rather than people plagiarising black artists --- seems to have been
> overlooked by the detractors on LBO-Talk.
>
> I wonder what that means. Not enough potential for the usual dreary angst
> about US society and culture perhaps?

Yes. It occurs to me that one of Shakespeare's characters did a nice two-line condensation of over half of lbo traffic (quoted from memory): Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings.

:-)

But part of the angst comes from the absurd notion that we should ignore everyone who might be affected by our speech or action and concentrate on answering and/or persuading people who won't be on our side regardless. Hence, for example, the dreary obsessions with Fox and with public opinion surveys.

Carrol