[lbo-talk] radio Henwood & Levy

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 12:43:53 PDT 2003

Any particular reason Levy is on? He doesnt just have the reputation of being a hack-he is one. In France, you do that differently than in the US. That he doesnt conform to the US hack model should be no big surprise. He is awful on many, many issues and is a relentless status and publicity seeker.

I lived in France and can testify from personal experience he is as repellant as they come. Though it is hard to find someone in the English speaking world willing to waste time on his endless campaigns, there is a good book on him and the rest of his clan of self important god that failed cum talk show poseurs:

The Mediocracy: French Philosophy Since the Mid-1970s by Dominique Lecourt. www.versobooks.com/books/klm/l-titles/lecourt_mediocracy.shtml

There is a lot on him in French of course which I'd be happy to post but here is a snippet from the London Review of Books from Edward Said:

Bernard-Henry Lévy, than whom in quality of mind and political courage there could scarcely be anyone more different from Sartre, was there to flog his approving study of the older philosopher. (I confess that I haven't read it, and do not soon plan to.) He was not so bad really, said the patronising B-HL; there were things about him, after all, that were consistently admirable and politically correct. B-HL intended this to balance what he considered the well-founded criticism of Sartre (made into a nauseating mantra by Paul Johnson) as having always been wrong on Communism. 'For example,' B-HL intoned, 'Sartre's record on Israel was perfect: he never deviated and he remained a complete supporter of the Jewish state.'