[lbo-talk] radio Henwood

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 9 12:42:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:23:50 -0400, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> So? How important is that? Is what Napoleoni quotes inaccurate?
>
> Doug

Heh, 'ya got me again on that ;-)

Having read more than a bit on Osama and al-Q (this new one looks great, http://www.liberaloasis.com/burke.htm ), and I haven't bought her book yet, just skimming at the bookstore, but, if I recall, one or more footnotes cited as sole source on Osama and al-Q the Bodansky book. When someone like him (see esp. his newer book on Clinton and Palestine/Israel) with such an obvious rightist bias, is cited, well yes, if it sounds credible, go w/ it, (not as if I haven't cited TNR or Commentary or sources further right here!) but, hopefully, she or whoever could/can find left or centrist sources to back up the dodgier allegations. Not that I think she isn't a fine journalist, I'd like to read her interviews w/ the former Red Brigader's, but, when a book is blurbed by and assisted in the research bu a Noam Chomsky, I did not expect to see the Bodansky cites.

On BH Levy, ask him about French maoist and PCF intellectuals. (The Tony Judt book on the French left intelligentsia, btw, is a great read.) If he knows Roger Garaudy, former PCF intellectual, now Holocaust Denier. What he thinks of the D. Lecourt http://www.versobooks.com/books/klm/l- titles/lecourt_mediocracy.shtml and http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/14783.ctl Kristin Ross book on May '68 and it's aftermath. What is Regis Debray up to?

-- Michael Pugliese