[lbo-talk] Russia's 25 Most Powerful Men

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 03:48:22 PDT 2003

The October edition of EuroBusiness magazine runs a lengthy article titled "Russia's 25 Most Powerful Men". I was a consultant for the story. Below is part of the introduction and EuroBusiness' ranking. Please note that the ranking EuroBusiness decided on is theirs, I suggested a different ranking.

Also, for those on the list interested in reading the individual profiles, drop me a line.

*

As the Kremlin goes on the offensive against politically precocious oligarchs, the time has come to ask who’s really in control of Russian business

Who’s got the power?

By Mark Joyce

In putting together our list of the 25 most powerful figures in Russian business we drew on the expertise of four seasoned Russia-watchers: Gideon Lichfield, Moscow correspondent for The Economist; Andrew Jack, Moscow Bureau Chief of the FT; Peter Lavelle, Managing Editor of PRAVDA.ru; and Sergei Kolushev, chairman of the London-based Russian Economic Forum. Our panel quickly decided that, in view of recent events, the list would have to include political as well as strictly business figures – by hounding the managers of mighty Yukos for the duration of the summer Vladimir Putin and his circle have demonstrated that they are, for now at least, firmly in control of Russia’s business development.

The 25 most powerful figures in Russian business

Vladimir Putin, 51, President, Russian Federation

Mikhail Khodorkovsky, 40, Chairman, Yukos

Alexander Voloshin, 47, Chief of Staff, Presidential Administration

Mikhail Fridman, 39, Chairman, Alfa Group

Victor Vekselberg, 46, Chairman, TNK and SUAL Holding Company

Vagit Alekperov, 53, President, Lukoil

Mikhail Kasyanov, 45, Prime Minister, Russian Federation

Sergei Ignatyev, 55, Chairman, Central Bank of Russia

Eugene Shvidler, 39, Chairman, Sibneft

Alexei Miller, 41, Chief Executive, Gazprom

Kakha Bendukidze, 47, President, United Heavy Machinery

Anatoly Chubais, 48, Chief Executive, Unified Energy System of Russia

Roman Abramovich, 36, Principal Shareholder, Sibneft

Vladimir Potanin, 42, President, Interros

German Gref, 39, Minister of Economic Development and Trade

Andrei Illarionov, 42, chief economic advisor to the President

Oleg Deripaska, 35, Chairman, Basic Element

Mikhail Prokhorov, 38, President, Norilsk Nickel

Alexei Mordashov, 38, Chairman, Severstal Group

Andrei Melnichenko, 31, Principal shareholder, MDM Financial Group

Sergei Bogdanchikov, 46, President, Rosneft

Andrei Kazmin, 45, Chairman, Sberbank

Andrei Kostin, 47, Chairman, Vneshtorgbank

Vladimir Yevtushenkov, 55, Chairman, AFK Sistema

David Iakobachvili, 46, Chairman, Wimm-Bill-Dann