[lbo-talk] crazy

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:55:02 PDT 2003

On the combined subjects of foreign views of the Arnold win and Chechnya, I found this little snippet particularly amusing.

gazeta.ru October 10, 2003 New Chechen leader dismisses U.S. criticism of vote

Chechnya's new president on Friday brushed off U.S. criticism of his election, saying the United States had itself seen unfair elections in California, where film star Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor.

Akhmad Kadyrov, who has ruled the Russian region as appointed leader for three years, won more than 80 percent of the vote in presidential elections last weekend, allowing Moscow to say its peace plan for the devastated region was on track.

But Washington, in comments echoed by Brussels, said the vote had not been fair since all major competitors had withdrawn before polling day and Kadyrov controlled the local media.

"From here I could also say that in Los Angeles, in California, there have been undemocratic elections, the election of The Terminator, what was that all about?" Kadyrov told a news conference, referring to Schwarzenegger's most famous film.

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general