[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 10 09:41:25 PDT 2003

Dear List:

Wojtek wrote:

> In my view, (c)rap is to music what Schwarzenegger and Stallone are to film - both are cases of an art form in the service of machismo. And if I am to do some racial stereotyping of my own, both express the
quintessential characteristic of white machismo and black machismo.

I guess rap is the music listened to by those paranoid, not-interested-in-learning, urban black males you interacted with at Rutgers. I might add that my gay rapper friends will be fascinated to know that their art is being created in service of "black maschimo."

> The black macho, otoh, is mostly loud and obnoxious noise - the ghetto blaster emitting the decibels of low frequency thumping, shouting obscenities at each other."

"Low frequency thumping" is actually called the beat. It has been part of African and African diaspora music (in fact all music) for centuries. But I am sure you know the old chestnut: "White people dance to the melody and black folk dance to the beat." To confuse an emphasis on beat with "black machismo" indicates either a) a severely limited knowledge of music and music history; b) a deep-seeded racism; or c) both.

> Black machismo is a more of an equal opportunity machismo than its white counterpart because it does not
require any particular physical predisposition - anyone can buy a noise blasting equipment and install it in his car.

"Sorry we be playing our music too loud Massa. Won't let it happen again, Suh."

> With that in mind, its is clear that the only raison d'etre of certain genres of pop-culture, such as (c)rap music, flicks like Terminator or Rocky, or SUV is to cater to and serve as props for displaying machismo."

Since your premise is racist and fallacious, your conclusions are as well. Your misrepresentation of hip hop ignores artists such as: Curtis Blow, Coolio, LL Cool J, Will Smith, Nas (his One Mike is a powerful rap against violence), Missy Elliott, Eve (her Love is Blind is about the domestic violence), Left Eye from TLC and gay rapper Cashun (a quick list off the top of my head while at work). If you are interested in learning about rhyming you can go to the lyric board at www.gayhiphop.com. There is also Christian rap, rock rap and many other styles of rap that you could investigate. What is revolutionary is that rap and R&B -- music created out of the black experience -- has become universal in ways that rock, white pop and country music can only dream about. Maybe it is a Black Planet after all.

> Particularly disturbing about this trend is that it is the only aspect of the US life that shows remarkable racial integration.

Heaven forbid that white youth should start taking their cues from Black folk. It is very dangerous that black and white youth should find commonalities in the arena of artistic and personal expression. Next thing you know, Black folk will be wanting equality.

> Most aspects of our daily lives remain hopelessly segregated: virtually no interracial dating, separate neighborhoods, separate schools, separate employment opportunities.

What makes you think that living next to/dating white folks is the dream of every African American? Historically, it has been white folk who are jonesin' for dark flesh. Sally Hemmings anyone?

> Very sad and pathetic, indeed.

A wonderful and accurate description of your post and beliefs

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister