[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 13:28:45 PDT 2003

> Joanna writes:

> > I remember seeing a teen movie some years ago in which the young male
teen comes a courting,
>>not to strum his guitar under his love's window, but to hold his boom box
aloft,
>>with music blasting....to woo her. Pathetic.

> What is pathetic is the denigration of a cultural expression when it does
not conform to a person's
>preconceptions of what is the "proper" way to make music or to woo someone.
>I love it when my man rhymes for me. Maybe you want to be wooed with an
acoustic guitar.
>I'll take hip hop. Neither is pathetic.
>
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Activist

I think Joanna's referring to "Say Anything," a nice little film featuring one of John Cusack's better early performances.

Joanna, like Woj, is really displaying her cultural conservatism in this thread. There are a lot of lefties, esp older ones, who claim all this radical cred, then suddenly show weary disdain for "kids today" and their "noise," when they're not making general assumptions about skin color's effect on one's cultural choices. It sometimes gets wrapped up in pseudo-sociological blather -- violins are practically unknown in da 'hood, so kids turn to turntables and boomboxes (ain't it a shame?) -- but the underlying assumptions remain solid.

DP