[lbo-talk] Vacation land

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Oct 10 16:18:44 PDT 2003

Forwarding from PenL/Joanna ____________________________

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/6769303.htm

The Mercury News Posted on Sun, Sep. 14, 2003

Rummy's brilliant idea DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COST OF IRAQ'S RECONSTRUCTION; TOURISM WILL SURELY HELP OUT

Mercury News Editorial

Worried that you, the American taxpayer, will have to pick up the check for Iraq's reconstruction?

Lying awake nights because the river of Iraqi oil that was going to finance the rebuilding won't float a rowboat?

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has a word to ease your mind: Tourism.

"Tourism is going to be something important in that country," he said, "as soon as the security situation is resolved . . ."

Mr. Secretary, we hear you. This will be the mother of all vacations:

- The Museums and Ruins Tour: An archaeological excursion featuring looted antiquities museums and recently ruined holy sites. On the bonus shopping expedition, bid for real antiquities in Baghdad's main bazaar.

- The Biblical Rivers Tour: Take a thrill ride on a barge through the mined harbor of Umm Qasr and sightsee on the Tigris and Euphrates rivers (two biblical rivers, one cradle of civilization all for one low price.)

- The WMD Tour: Search for deadly sarin and mustard gas with weapons expert David Kay. (This tour is not recommended for tourists who expect to actually see anything.)

- The Bounty Hunt: Hire an interpreter, rent a Humvee and head off on your own into the wilds of Tikrit in a merry search for the elusive man himself. First one to spot Saddam gets dinner at the White House and $25 million. Includes complimentary deck of "Most Wanted" cards for easy identification.

- The Halliburton and Bechtel Reconstruction Tour: Witness truckloads of actual American dollars being dumped in the desert. (Sorry, U.S. citizens only.)

- Grand Finale. Saddam's Groovy Baghdad Love Shacks Tour: From the New York Daily News: "U.S. soldiers . . . stumbled upon what they believe is one of the tawdry tyrant's secret love lairs. Replete with statues of topless women, a whirlpool tub, beanbag chairs and a king-size bed surrounded with mirrors, the townhouse evoked a groovy, '60s-era playboy pad that would make Austin Powers feel right at home." (Over 21 only, must show ID).

- Premium Upgrade Available: Electricity and running water on all tours, prices and hours to be determined.

Book now at Pentagon Expeditions, 1-800-SEE-IRAQ. Ask for John Poindexter.

==

rich brown (DrGafia)

Anya: [regarding the board game of "Life," which she and Xander are playing with Dawn] Crap! Look at this. Now I'm burdened with a husband, several tiny pink children and more cash than I can reasonably manage. Xander: That means you're winning. Anya: Really? Xander: Yes, cash equals good. Anya: Ooh, I'm so pleased! Can I trade in the children for more cash? --Buffy The Vampire Slayer: "Real Me"

===== ***************************************************************** "Commodification works in our favour in the instance of the influence of learned ideology over class consciousness," she said.

"How's that? Oh yes, the cheapening of the *quality* of knowledge absorbed by the *majority* of brains manifesting itself as consciousness, also applies to the depth which ideology is rooted as a power against material interest," he replied.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal